March 28, 2010

The phenomenon of time zones

This is blowing my mind a little bit, and so I want to share:

There were two babies I know of that were born at the end of last week. Tobiah was born on Friday morning at around 6:45 am. Andrew was born Thursday night around 11:30 pm. But Tobiah is older. How is this possible?

Tobiah was born to a couple of friends of ours who are currently doing missions work in China, so when he was born on Friday, March 26 at 6:45 am, it was sometime in the afternoon of Thursday, March 25 here in Denver. Andrew was born in Denver later Thursday night. Therefore, Tobiah's birthday will, I assume, always be recognized as March 26, but he is older by a few hours than Andrew, who's birthday is March 25. I think it'd be weird if they grew up and became friends and told people their birthdates but that Tobiah was older. It'd confuse people for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment