May 28, 2009

Round 2 Part 2 - The Sweet Sixteen & Round 3 are SET!

Here's the second half of the round two matchups. Below them you'll find a recap of how Round 3 shapes up.

Drama

(13) The Phantom of the Opera
(5) Good Will Hunting
Winner: Good Will Hunting
The music of Andrew Lloyd Webber is great, and he hit the nail on the head with Phantom, but Good Will Hunting wins this one rather easily. I don't even know what specifics to point to in order to convey why I like it, but I do.

(7) Glory
(15) A Time to Kill
Winner: A Time to Kill
When Carl Lee Hailey (Samuel L. Jackson) erupts on the witness stand I always want to jump out of me seat and cheer. But I usually don't. It's a fantastic movie.

Family

(1) The Lion King
(9) Rudy
Winner: Rudy
Rudy gets the upset here by virtue of the fact that I'm not 12 anymore. That's not to say that The Lion King is just for kids, of course. I still love it and think it's hilarious, and that the music is great. If this was a Broadway show competition The Lion King would probably win it, but I think the overall appeal of Rudy as a film is bigger and better.

(3) Toy Story
(6) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Winner: Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
I really do think Willy Wonka is the better movie here (though it's very close), but I also feel like I tend to lean toward it because it doesn't get the respect it deserves. It really is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen, and it just seems to get better with age. I don't know how people can't love Gene Wilder's Wonka. Simply hysterical.

Comedy

(4) The Princess Bride
(5) Ocean's 11
Winner: The Princess Bride
This was a major blowout. The Princess Bride so far has won two relatively uncontested matches. I don't want to take anything away from Ocean's 11, but there are very few movies on the planet that even put up a slight struggle with The Princess Bride, and this just isn't one of them. Sorry.

(10) A League of Their Own
(15) Arthur
Winner: A League of Their Own
I think that Arthur actually makes me laugh more out of these two movies, but it really has three or four side-splitting scenes (all of which come in the first 30-45 minutes of the movie), and the rest of it is just okay. Plus, Tom Hanks in A League of Their Own is hilarious. "Ball players?! I haven't got ball players, I've got girls!!"

Action

(1) The Dark Knight
(9) Man on Fire
Winner: Man on Fire
Not that close of a matchup here either. The Dark Knight was a very good movie with a very great performance by Heath Ledger, but Man on Fire is a much better movie (I might be the only person who thinks this, but that's the way it goes).

(14) Tears of the Sun
(6) The Boondock Saints
Winner: The Boondock Saints
It's tough for me to have to say good-bye to Tears of the Sun so early because I really do love it. Unfortunately, tournaments like this are all about matchups and it drew a tough one here in the second round. I don't get to see The Boondock Saints very often, but if you haven't ever seen it I would encourage you to (unless you can't handle blood or violence).

Alright, so there you go. Here are the third round matchups. Who do you think will win and head to the Elite Eight? I'll tell you right now, NONE of these are a piece of cake.

Drama

(1) The Shawshank Redemption
(5) Good Will Hunting

(11) A Few Good Men
(15) A Time to Kill

Family

(9) Rudy
(4) Beauty and the Beast

(6) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
(15) Newsies

Comedy

(1) Forrest Gump
(4) The Princess Bride

(11) Elf
(10) A League of Their Own

Action

(9) Man on Fire
(12) The Patriot

(6) The Boondock Saints
(7) The Bourne Trilogy
We're in for some nailbiters this time around!

No comments:

Post a Comment