May 24, 2009

Round 1 Part 2 - And Round 2 is set

Below are the winners and explanations of the second half of the first round winners. After that I'll lay out round 2 for you.

Drama

(2) Schindler's List
(15) A Time to Kill
Winner: A Time to Kill
I hear a lot of people say that A Time to Kill was Grisham's best book, but it's not that great of a movie. I obviously don't agree. In fact, I think Grisham has books that are much better, but the movie is fantastic.

(4) The Prestige
(13) The Phantom of the Opera
Winner: The Phantom of the Opera
The fact that I've seen Phantom the Broadway show on stage before I'm sure weighed on this decision more than it should have. That stage show is unreal. And the singers are better (than they are in the movie). But it's still a better movie than The Prestige, but not by a whole lot. I just tend to like Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals.

(6) Big Fish
(11) A Few Good Men
Winner: are you kidding? A Few Good Men
Big Fish is a good flick. That's all I have to say about it. A Few Good Men is one of the best two or three movies ever. Which is why you might see it going a ways in the tournament.

(8) The Truman Show
(9) The Breakfast Club
Winner: The Truman Show
Bottom line: The Truman Show is creative, original, and extremely well done. It's only problem? Shawshank is its next opponent...

Family

(1) The Lion King
(16) First Knight
Winner: The Lion King
I'll never forget watching The Lion King as an 11 year-old and thinking it was the best movie I'd ever seen. Now I think it's even funnier than I did then. Well-written, good music, good animation. It's a tough Disney movie to beat, that's for sure.

(3) Toy Story
(14) A Goofy Movie
Winner: Toy Story
This is a battle between one of the best-loved Disney movies ever, and a much less well-known Disney movie that's usually just played on the Disney Channel ever couple of months. Still, I think A Goofy Movie has a great soundtrack, and it's really funny. But I don't know if there's another family movie out there that's funnier than Toy Story.

(5) Finding Neverland
(12) John Q
Winner: Finding Neverland
I've seen both of these movies recently, and they're both wonderful. John Q makes me cry, and wish that there wasn't anyone in the world who would ever have to watch their child die because they're not financially stable. I chose Finding Neverland because it's idealistic, imaginative, and fun. It's got some cool cinematography going on too.

(7) Miracle
(10) The Rookie
Winner: Miracle
The Rookie is really good, but nothing beats givin' the 1980 Soviet hockey team a good whoopin'. Also, I like Kurt Russell's Minnesoooootan accent.

Comedy

(1) Forrest Gump
(16) From the Hip
Winner: Forrest Gump
My dad got me into From the Hip the first time. I loved it. Still do. Forrest Gump, however, is a timeless classic of huge proportions. Just about everything about it is perfect.

(3) Singin' in the Rain
(14) Matilda
Winner: Matilda
I think I've only seen Singin' in the Rain about twice all the way through, which is part of the reason Matilda beat it. Another contributing factor might just be that the former is a bit too old to really fall into my "absolutely love it" category, though the music and the humor of it are quite good.

(5) Ocean's 11
(12) 10 Things I Hate About You
Winner: Ocean's 11
I think overall Ocean's 11 is just funnier, and has more of the re-watch factor (which means I like to re-watch it a lot).

(7) The Sandlot
(10) A League of Their Own
Winner: A League of Their Own
The Sandlot is a classic kids movie, and it's too bad they've made so many stupid sequels. I don't blame Squints at all for what he pulled with Wendy Peffercorn. But I've got to go with A League of Their Own here. Tom Hanks is hilarious. One of the best Tom Hanks characters out there.

Action

(2) Fight Club
(15) Armageddon
Winner: Armageddon
I'm not really sure Fight Club should even be in my top 64. I'm sure I could think of some others more deserving. But it made it, and has now become the fourth #2 seed to go out in the first round against a #15 seed. I don't know if that's ever happened before, folks!

(4) Gladiator
(13) Ransom
Winner: Gladiator
This might have been the most difficult decision of the first round. Both of these movies are very good. I think in the end I was swayed a little bit by the second round matchup. By pitting Gladiator against The Patriot we have a little bit more of an epic battle than if Ransom was in there instead.

(6) The Boondock Saints
(11) The Italian Job
Winner: The Boondock Saints
The Boondock Saints is much less family-friendly than The Italian Job, but it's a better movie too. It's action-packed, and cinematically speaking, it's one of the best movies I've ever seen. The best part is when one guy accidently shoots a cat, which instantly disintegrates into a blood spatter on the wall, and then the guy asks (dead seriously), "Is it... dead?"

(8) Tombstone
(9) Man on Fire
Winner: Man on Fire
I wish these two hadn't faced each other in the first round. Remember when I said that Gladiator vs. Ransom was the toughest choice of the round? Well I might be changing my mind now. Tombstone is a classic western, with a stellar cast, and maybe Val Kilmer's best performance ever. But alas, Man on Fire squeaks into the second round by the skin of Denzel Washington's teeth.

So there are the rest of your Round 1 winners. The round two matchups are recapped for you below. It'll probably be a few days before we get to those.

Drama

(1) The Shawshank Redemption
(8) The Truman Show

(13) The Phantom of the Opera
(5) Good Will Hunting

(14) The Terminal
(11) A Few Good Men

(7) Glory
(15) A Time to Kill

Family

(1) The Lion King
(9) Rudy

(4) Beauty and the Beast
(5) Finding Neverland

(3) Toy Story
(6) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

(7) Miracle
(15) Newsies

Comedy

(1) Forrest Gump
(9) Marley & Me

(4) The Princess Bride
(5) Ocean's 11

(14) Matilda
(11) Elf

(10) A League of Their Own
(15) Arthur

Action

(1) The Dark Knight
(9) Man on Fire

(4) Gladiator
(12) The Patriot

(14) Tears of the Sun
(6) Boondock Saints

(7) The Bourne Trilogy
(15) Armageddon

4 comments:

  1. So, Dad, Jaron, and I have gone through both result blogs and tend to agree most the time with your picks. There are a few that one or the other of us might disagree, but there was one that all three of us think you got wrong. TOMBSTONE all the way Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(at least through round one.)
    Keep it going. Great entertainment. I was very sorry to not see FACE OFF anywhere:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Tombstone contest was very difficult. I flip-flopped a lot before my final decision.

    Also, Face/Off was one of those that I just completely forgot... and nobody commented in time for me to switch things around and get it put in there. Another one I forgot until it was too late? Patch Adams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Jake this is Jaron on moms email. (sorry mom) My buddy Darrow is curious to know if toy story and a goofy movie took it in to double or even triple overtime?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't say overtime. It was close until about midway through the fourth quarter, but then Toy Story got the momentum going and closed it out fairly handily.

    ReplyDelete