February 3, 2009

Thesis ideas, anyone?

I'm taking a research methods class this semester where you learn how to do research in preparation for a Master's thesis. For the class, you basically pick a thesis topic and treat it like the real things as you put together bibliographies and do preliminary research. It is strongly encouraged to choose a topic that you actually will eventually use for your thesis, because otherwise all your work is for naught.

My problem is that I haven't chosen a thesis topic yet (an actual one) and it's just about time for me to be picking one for this class. I'd like it to be the topic I eventually actually write a thesis on. So... I'm looking for suggestions. I will be writing a thesis for an MA in Biblical Studies, with an emphasis on the New Testament, so my thesis topic HAS to deal primarily with some aspect of the New Testament text (in other words, I can't write primarily on Pauline theology, though I can certainly include that within the thesis, but I can write on Paul's use of "mystery" language or something like that). Anyone have any good ideas? Just for your information, I happen to have a personal interest in the synoptic gospels, and Mark's gospel in particular. I also have an interest in history, and in the writings of Josephus and the early church fathers. Obviously, the right topic probably can't include all of these, and your ideas don't have to include any of them, but I wanted you to have a little bit to work with as you start bombarding me with possible topics. :) Thanks

P.S. Someday I fully intend to write a lengthy essay incorporating my all-time favorite television show, The West Wing, into a discussion of Christianity and pop-culture. If I could do it for a Biblical studies thesis I would, but I can't, so I'll save it for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment