February 19, 2009

Keith Green: Servant of the Living God

I'm a big Keith Green fan. I don't think he's generally considered "the norm" for what music my generation appreciates, but his lyrics blow me away (even the 50th or 60th time I hear/read/sing them), and when I hear him sing and play the piano (beautifully!) I can tell how much love he had for his Lord. In every song he sings it's as if he might never get a chance to sing it again.

Green was killed in a plane crash in 1982 at the age of just 28. I know it's probably not the most theologically responsible thing to assert (and I'm a seminary student to boot!), and I'm not sure where this idea came from, but I think someone suggested to me once that maybe Keith just longed to be with his heavenly father so much that God thought that was a good idea. You can read more about Keith Green and the ministries that have stemmed from his story here. I would also encourage you to Youtube some of his songs (or get them from iTunes or whatever, just listen to them).

And for those of you who have always wondered why my blog is called "Rushing Wind," I've reproduced Green's lyrics to one of my favorite songs.

Rushing wind blow through this temple
Blowing out the dust within
Come and breathe your breath upon me
I've been born again

Holy Spirit, I surrender
Take me where you want to go
Plant me by your living waters
Plant me deep so I can grow

Jesus, you're the one who set my spirit free
Use me, Lord, glorify your Holy name through me

Separate me from this world, Lord
Sanctify my life for you
Daily change me to your image
Help me bear good fruit

Every day your drawing closer
Trials come to test my faith
But when all is said and done, Lord
You know, it's been worth the wait

Jesus, you're the one who set my spirit free
Use me, Lord, glorify your Holy name through me

Rushing wind blow through this temple
Blowing out the dust within
Come and breathe your breath upon me
I've been born again

1 comment:

  1. I like Keith Green too. I once heard his wife speak at the International House of Prayer and it was really interesting.

    ReplyDelete