April 18, 2008

Pacifism

I cried a few minutes ago.

The original reason was because I watched one of my favorite movies which is called Tears of the Sun.  It stars Bruce Willis, who plays a Navy S.E.A.L. Lt. who has orders to extract an American missionary from a war-torn part of Africa.  The missionary won't leave the mission without the indigenous Africans who live there with her, and Willis and his team basically have to opt into saving these people from certain slaughter at the hands of rebel troops.  It's a pretty graphic movie, but incredibly moving.  It's also the movie I talk about when I'm describing to people why, even though I try very hard, I cannot be a pacifist.  (Please feel free to try to change my mind.  I often feel like I ought to be "corrected" on this issue of pacifism, so I welcome any challenges to my views -- of course, there are like 1.5 of you out there who read this... so I might not get anything.)

I kept crying because after the movie I looked at some pictures of my 6-month old nephew, who's adorable.  Thanks to my sister-in-law, Pamela, who does an amazing job of posting pictures of her little guy all the time so that those of us who can't see him very often (sad!) can at least see him in photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment