April 17, 2008

Expulsion, comedy, and feminism

Tonight I translated a couple of verses from 2 Thessalonians from Greek into English.

It kind of wore me out, so I thought I'd write a little.  Also because it's been awhile.  Tomorrow there's a movie coming out called Expelled.  It's a documentary by Ben Stein that sounds pretty good.  From what I hear, it's connected to the Intelligent Design debate.  The movie's viewpoint, I guess, is that Intelligent Design proponents use the same science as evolutionists, but are still being shut out of scientific scholarship for their views... or something.  I plan to see it, but not tomorrow.  See, my wife and I are in the midst of what we've dubbed "No Fun April."  During the month of April, we have vowed to spend not a single dime on recreation of any kind (eating out, going to or renting movies, etc.).  We haven't really ever had the means to do a lot of those things anyway, but I just spent over a thousand dollars on a new computer last month, and there are only a few things in our budget that we have absolute control over... so we're hoping it helps us out a little.

There's a comedian I really like named Demetri Martin.  He says stuff like,

"Swimming is a confusing sport.  Because sometimes you do it for fun, but other times you do it to not die."

and

"I bet drowning is a horrible experience.  But I bet it's a little less horrible if right before, you're really thirsty.  It'd be like, 'Man, I'm thirsty.  Ok ok ok OK OK OK I'M GOOD I'M GOOD!'"

Anyway.  You should youtube him if you've got the time.

Oh!  I wanted to blow off some more steam about this too:  Today in my class on methods of New Testament study, we talked about feminist and queer (GLBT) interpretation of the Bible.  I left the class pretty mad, because we seemed to focus the whole time on all the positive things we can learn from these criticisms, and nobody stated what I thought was glaringly obvious:  They're wrong!  I'm not even saying that feminism or homosexuality are wrong (we can talk about that, though, if you'd like).  I'm saying that the agenda-driven interpretation of Holy Scripture by those practicing feminist or queer criticism is wrong.  It'd be equivalent to me deciding that I don't want to give money to the poor, because I really REALLY like all my cars and video games and my movie collection and my iPod, so when I read the Sermon on the Mount, I'm going to interpret it as though Jesus is saying, "God loves people who have lots of money and hoard it all for themselves."  It's just BAD interpretation, and it made me upset that no one in my class, including the professor, ever mentioned that.  K, I'm done.  Stepping down from my soap box (now there's a phrase I've never fully understood).

No comments:

Post a Comment