April 24, 2008

Drafts

My wife is making weird noises at the computer.  She's chatting with a friend, and something amazingly funny or weird must be taking place.

I read about a movie that Spike Lee is making for ESPN Films for which he used 18 video cameras to capture Kobe Bryant's every move during one game (both on and off the court).  That actually sounds to me like it could be interesting.

The NFL Draft starts on Saturday.  I won't be watching it, because I get four channels on my tv and none of them is ESPN.  The Draft has been particularly interesting to me this year.  This is probably the closest I've ever followed it (and by "followed" I mean that I've listened to sports radio and read articles about the Draft more than I ever have before), and I'm basically realizing that mock drafts are all kind of stupid.  You can't know who a team's going to take.  I laughed today because I received this week's Sports Illustrated issue, which includes a "Draft Special."  They put an entire 1st round mock draft inside, but it's off from the very start.  A couple of days ago, the Dolphins (who have the drafts first pick) made a deal with a player and will be drafting him.  This deal must have happened after SI went to print, though, because they have the Dolphins taking an entirely different player.  See?  Now every single pick after that will change, because the first one didn't go as planned.  I'll stay away from predicting the outcomes of things that are impossible to predict.  I wish Hal Lindsey would have thought the same way I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment