April 21, 2009

Miss California, Perez Hilton, Same-Sex Marriage, and Unbelievable Stupidity

As far as I can tell, these are the facts: In the Miss USA pageant on Sunday night one of the two finalists, Miss California, was asked by gay celebrity/gossip blogger and judge Perez Hilton, "Vermont recently became the 4th state to legalize same-sex marriage. Do you think the other states should follow suit? Why or why not?" (that's pretty close to word-for-word)

Miss California responded something similar to, "In my family, the way I was raised, I think that marriage should be between a man and a woman, no offense to anyone, but that's what I believe."

Miss California did not win. She was the first runner-up to Miss North Carolina.

After the competition was over, Hilton posted a video blog on his website where he let out his anger and frustration over Miss California's response. He was "shocked" at her answer. He apparently couldn't believe that she would forget that her job is to inspire women. This morning Julie Chen of the Early Show interviewed Hilton. He said that he thought she should have been better prepared for that question. He pointed out that her job is not to be a politician. When asked how she could have answered differently without lying about her convictions, he said that she could have answered something like, "As Miss USA I would be thrilled to be a role model and an inspiration for women, and I'm glad that the states can decide that issue for themselves."

I'm quite certain that I don't even need to point out the complete and utter stupidity that has come out of Hilton in this case, but I will.

WHAT?!?!?! Are you serious, Mr. Hilton? You asked a yes or no question. Those kinds of questions have two possible answers: "yes," and "no." That's like asking, "Do you like bananas? Why or why not? What?! You don't!? Holy Cow?! How can you be so silly? Don't you realize you represent your state and you're supposed to be an inspiration to people throughout the country?"

He claimed he was upset because she shouldn't have tried to be a politician, yet his proposed answer (the one she should have given) was basically, "I'd like to avoid that question, so I'm glad it's a state issue," which is precisely the answer a politician would give.

Other critics of Miss California have expressed disappointment because she shouldn't have brought religion into her response. Every bit as stupid. Plenty of non-Christians are opposed to same-sex marriage. In fact, a majority of Californians who voted on Proposition 8 are opposed to it. If anything, she should be commended for voicing an unpopular opinion (at least, if you pay attention to the liberal news media) that corresponds to that of the state she represents.

I don't really know anything about Miss California, and this is not really the kind of story that usually comes across my radar, but our local news reported it this morning while we were getting ready to leave, and then the Early Show had the interview I mentioned above... and it got my blood boiling a little bit. I just have the hardest time being okay with rampant stupidity. That's why I wrote about it. Not because I care as much as it might seem.

3 comments:

  1. I was actually asked the banana question when I ran for Miss Kanawha. My answer was, "As Miss Kanawha I would be thrilled to be a role model and an inspiration for women, and I'm glad that individuals can decide the banana question for themselves." I didn't want to lose the support of local banana growers. And, the judge who asked the question was an outspoken banana distributor and I didn't want to offend him. I feel I compromised my integrity a little, but hey, I was Miss Kanawha 2000 and no one can take that from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I do really love watching the Miss USA pageant, and this was the worst one I have seen in a long time. Not only was there a whole stupid segment about "green-ness", but the hosts and musical guests really stunk, and all of the final questions were politically charged like that. I think NC or CA could have won, but Mr. Hilton's behavior (especially after the pageant) was totally unfair. I really respect CA for standing up for what she believes, even when it might be unpopular (especially to the judge).

    ReplyDelete
  3. So...I'm gonna tell you the truth. As a true Californian who is...dare I say it...a christian...(gasp) I would have hands down answered the question the same way. Because overall it makes sense. You know that if she had answered the way Perez wanted her to he would have asked her to explain. Either way the question itself was unnecessary and absolutely has no relevance to becoming Miss USA. (Um...I'm not exactly in touch with my femine side to know much more than what was shown on Miss Congeniality lol so my perception of this whole beauty pagent thing is kinda like...nothing). Ultimately Miss CA did inspire women, young girls, or whoever she was supposed to be a role model for because she stood up for herself and her beliefs. Brava Miss CA!

    ReplyDelete