April 16, 2009

Bart Ehrman

I don't know how he does it.

Ben Witherington, a prominent New Testament scholar, has a blog that I (try to) read regularly. He often writes reviews for books and movies which I often find very helpful. Lately he's been writing a review of Bart Ehrman's newest book, Jesus, Interrupted. For those of you who don't know, Ehrman is a textual critic who went to seminary and was once bound for ministry, but his studies led him to the decision that the Bible really is not trustworthy. He's now a skeptic, not a believer, and he writes prolifically about all the problems with the Bible specifically, and Christianity more generally. Think of him as a sort of Dan Brown, only with an education.

Anyway, my point isn't to talk about boring New Testament scholarship per se. I just want to point out the ridiculously long review of his book Ben Witherington has written... and I'm not sure he's done yet. So far his review has come in the form of five different "parts" (part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4, and part 5), and each one is super long. I began to read the first one thinking, "I'd like to hear what he has to say about this book." I read for about twenty minutes and then realized I was about 1/4 of the way through... and that was just part 1. Over the next few days he wrote parts 2-5. I don't know if he's done yet, either. It's possible that Witherington's review of the book is longer than the book itself.

If you're bored, a nerd, and have lots of time on your hands, read it! Also, here's a hilarious interview that Stephen Colbert did with Ehrman.


The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Bart Ehrman
colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical HumorNASA Name Contest

No comments:

Post a Comment