December 19, 2008

Moving daze

Today Elizabeth and I will sign a lease for our new apartment, and we'll begin moving some stuff in. Tomorrow we've got friends coming with cars and trucks to help us haul the rest of our possessions away from W 7th Avenue for good. Yesterday was spent trying to pack everything we own into boxes and plastic tubs. We didn't get there (it looks like we're not even close), but we've got most of the stuff from closets and other unseen places (all the kitchen cupboards). I'm almost sick of moving already, and we haven't even been in our new unit yet! We're excited, though, because our new apartment will be substantially larger than our current one, and we won't feel quite so cramped. We'll also be able to offer more floor space when our visitors and their friends (this means you, Jase) swing by to stay for a night or two. My camera seems to be on the fritz at the moment, so we might not get any "before" pictures of our new place, but I'll certainly work on getting some once we've moved in and I can figure out the problem with my camera. The two things we're most excited about: We'll have a DISHWASHER! We'll have laundry machines IN OUR UNIT! These two things combined mean that cleaning up after dinner will take far less time, and that we no longer have to keep a bucket of quarters in our apartment for laundry's sake. The laundry machines also mean that if we realize that we desperately need socks and/or underwear by the next day, we can simply wash a load, instead of worrying about hours of operation, and when our "planned" laundry time was. Believe me, this is way more exciting than it sounds in print.

1 comment:

  1. No, I understand the excitement! The worst is when it's Saturday afternoon and you need clothes for Sunday, but you're out of quarters and the bank's closed. I think that when we move, the thing I just might be most excited for is having our own laundry. I'm sure my Mom's excited too, because I've saved almost all our laundry since Thanksgiving to bring home for Christmas, so I'll have her washer and drier tied up all week. :) (She probably thought I'd be done bringing laundry home by the time I was 25, married, and a parent.) I would also be very excited about a dishwasher. It sounds silly, but then you can 'hide' the dishes when you have people over instead of having them pile up the sink throughout the night. And based on my experience of having a dishwasher at our last place, it does make cleaning up easier and quicker. I feel your excitement. It's justified.

    ReplyDelete