December 25, 2008

Don't believe the critics!

Partly because we decided to skip out on Christmas this year (in terms of giving each other a bunch of gifts), Elizabeth and I treated ourselves to the newly released Marley and Me at a theater this afternoon. We had a rough time getting in, first of all. The first place we went was sold out about 20 minutes before showtime (right about the time we got there), the second place was sold out 35 minutes before showtime (right about the time we got there), and the third place (which was actually the first place revisited... for a later showing) surely sold out shortly after we got our tickets (we were about 50 minutes early for that one).

All the seeking and frustration paid off, though. Marley and Me was fantastic. Owen Wilson gave a heartwarming, charming, and funny performance. Marley himself was one of the prettiest and most likable dogs I've ever seen in a movie. It wasn't a movie just about a dog either. It was about marriage and family and hardship and the pressures of life and work too. The movie is based on a book, and now I want to read it. I would recommend this movie to all of you who read this blog. Mom and dad, it'd be great for the kids too (I think). It's rated PG because they make a few comments regarding Marley's "fixing," and because Jennifer Anniston takes off her clothes and jumps into the pool at one point (they don't show anything except her bare back for a moment).

Anywho, I heard that the critics weren't fans of this movie, but Elizabeth and I were (she's blogging about it right now too, I think)... so if you trust our opinions over old men who sit in theaters for a living, go see it!

1 comment:

  1. Fun! Joel and I haven't been to a movie together in over 2 years. We really want to see Valkyrie. Marley and Me is one we will definitely get on free redbox Monday when it's out on DVD too. I don't think I'd make that great of a film critic, because I disagree with them fairly often.

    ReplyDelete