August 29, 2010

A (Toy) Story of Jealousy

So, I've been a fan of Toy Story since I was 11 years old. I love the movie. I love the sequel. And I love the third installment which was recently released in theaters.

Elizabeth and I went to see Toy Story 3 a few weeks ago with a movie theater gift card we had been given. We shared the theater with about a hundred elementary school kids. It was still summer, and it was a matinee, so I wasn't at all surprised. But I couldn't help thinking about the fact that most of these kids have no idea how great the original Toy Story was (is). They weren't even alive when it was made. They don't have a 15-year connection with Woody and Buzz. They've probably never even played with a Mr. Spell, or a Mr. Potato Head.

Now, I walk through the store and see some of the coolest Toy Story-related toys ever! Stuff that's way cooler than what they made when the original film came out. Of course, as much as I'd LOVE to have Toy Story-themed toys, it'd be kind of weird for a 26-year old with no kids to buy the Buzz Lightyear pillow cases and comforter.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that all these little kids today don't know the half of why Toy Story is a fantastic story (from the first film all the way through the end of the third), but they have access to all the greatest Toy Story toys, and I'm jealous.

(Elizabeth did let me buy a Buzz and Woody kite at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago. We haven't had a chance to take it out for a spin yet.)

2 comments:

  1. You'd be so jealous of Gabriel - I have a HUGE box of Toy Story toys that John's nephew outgrew and that he decided to give to Gabriel. There are like three Woodys of various sizes and three Buzz Lightyears, and tons of accessories. I got home late from conferences last week and John and Bret had put a motion-detector Woody by the door so when I came in he said "Reach for the stars." They thought that was pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the phrase is "Reach for the skies". Perhaps you got Woody's twin. His name is Darin, but in high school his friends nicknamed him "Boner".

    ReplyDelete