August 6, 2010

crash

Elizabeth got into a car accident yesterday. She's okay, but she has a lot of bumps and bruises, and she suffered a concussion. The car got pretty mangled too. In fact, today we said an emotional good-bye to the Grand Am. We'll probably never see it again. It was very sad. That car has served us quite well over our three years together, and it served Elizabeth for more than four years before that! Sad.

Turns out my wife is hilarious in her post-concussion hours (as many people are). She couldn't remember anything, so she asked me the same questions over and over and over and over and over again while we were at the hospital. She really focused in on a few things that got her really excited:

1. She was very upset that she had taken an ambulance ride and not been able to "witness" it (as she put it).
2. There was a hospital employee who called me to tell me Elizabeth was in the ER, and Elizabeth was just dying to know if the person who called me had used the ICE (In Case of Emergency) feature in her phone. She has me set up as an ICE contact in her phone's contacts list, and she asked me probably 15-20 times if that's how they'd tracked me down. I, of course, didn't know, but later we found that employee and she said that Elizabeth had given her my name, so she just found me in the "recent calls" list. Poor Elizabeth was quite disappointed. The care pastor at the church where we attend (and where I work) came to see her while she was in the ER, and before he left he prayed with and for us. As soon as he said, "Amen," Elizabeth excitedly questioned (again), "Did they use the ICE feature to call you!??!!?"
3. She was desperate to find out whether the accident was her fault (short answer for those wondering is, we don't really know).

Anyway, it's been a crazy 28+ hours. We're pretty sure we've lost the Grand Am for good, so we're in the market for a car! Our insurance company has been really great (at least so far). They've even hooked us up with a rental until we replace the Grand Am... so for probably at least a couple of weeks we're riding in style (it's a Chevy Impala... not sure what year but it's pretty new). I really wanted to take the Suburu Outback Sport that they were going to give us, but it turns out the plates on that car were expired so they couldn't let us take it. (Sad.)

She's doing pretty well now. Still doesn't remember much about yesterday, and she doesn't remember anything about the accident at all, but she's got some Percoset in her (I've been sneaking some of those too, SSSHHH!) so she's feeling okay.

Thanks for your prayers!

1 comment:

  1. Praise God she's ok!!!!!! Keeping you guys in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete