April 14, 2010

Foot and End Notes

Last night I was complaining to Elizabeth about endnotes. I hate endnotes. You have to flip to the back of the book (or chapter) to try and find the source the author is citing or referring to. It's terribly annoying.

I think Elizabeth was in an argumentative mood, so she told me she liked endnotes. "Get 'em all out of the way," she said, "put 'em at the end."
"You only think that because you don't read the notes," I said.
"Yep," she replied.
Still trying to be right, I said, "But don't you like it when footnotes take up 1/4 or more of a page and then you actually have to read less than the page count of your assignment?"
"I only like that if it's reading I have to do for a class," she told me.
So I asked her, "How often do you read books with footnotes or endnotes that aren't assigned to you?"
She said, "Ok, never."
I gloated a little, and her response made me laugh for a long time:
"Well, I'm glad I fell into your spidery trap."

No comments:

Post a Comment