September 10, 2009

A phone call

I work at Centennial Covenant Church.

A phone conversation I just had...

Me: Centennial Covenant, this is Jake, how may I help you?
Man on phone: David! Jack Green, how are you?
Me: No, I'm sorry, this is JAKE, did you need to talk to David?
Man: No, I need to talk with Steve.
Me: He's not in yet this morning [sidenote: the office doesn't open until 9am, and rarely is there anyone other than me in the office before that time... and this call was at 8:20], would you like his voicemail?
Man: (pause) Well, um, is David there?
Me: No, he's not in yet either.
Man: (longer pause) Um, I'm sorry, I didn't catch who I'm speaking with.
Me: This is Jake Rohde.
Man: Oh, you're the guy who just started a little while ago.
Me: Yep [sidenote: it was in mid-March).
Man: With the little baby.
Me: Oh, no, you're thinking of Chris Durkin. [another seminary student, friend of mine, has an almost one-year old, and another due in December, started working as an intern here a couple of weeks ago]
Man: Oh, okay. Well, I'm supposed to have a meeting with Steve tonight and I want to make sure he's coming.
Me: Here, let me give you his cell phone number.

1 comment:

  1. Dude you have no idea how much I relate to this email. It is freakin funny. Doug and I are rarely in the office let alone both of us at once. People who know us extremely well still call and leave messages on the office phone. We tell EVERYONE to call us on the cell phone first. We give out business cards with instructions to contact us via cell. No one will do it. It is weird. When did it happen that the pastor was just expected to be in the office at all times? As if he actually lives at the church. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete