July 3, 2012

Fight Club and Christianity

Someone on twitter posted, "I wish the first rule of Christianity was exactly the same as the first rule of Fight Club." Now, in case you don't know, Fight Club is a movie in which the most oft-quoted line is, "The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Fight Club." To reassure everyone who re-tweets the original tweet, I'd just like to say, it is. The first rule of Christianity is: you do not talk about Fight Club. But I don't think that's the point of what these folks are trying to say.

I think what someone is trying to communicate with this line is that they wish Christians would shut up and mind their own business. Unfortunately, this desire is not only oxymoronic, it's also simply moronic. Asking a Christian not to share the good news about Jesus is similar to asking CNN not to share the news about anything. "I wish CNN would stop broadcasting news and mind their own business." How stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment