March 21, 2011

Simple Music

I have a pretty eclectic musical taste and I listen to a very wide range of artists and genres, but more than any other genre, country music seems to stir up certain friends of mine into a sort of elitist frenzy where country music is mocked and belittled for being simplistic and unsophisticated. I can certainly understand such claims, and I've never suggested that anyone must enjoy all the same kinds of music I happen to. But for all those friends who made fun of Garth Brooks and then turned on their Casey Kasem top-40 radio stations, I present the following video. (warning: there are a couple instances of inappropriate language)

3 comments:

  1. The whole reason they used the songs they did is because they thought it entertaining to take complex layers of song and break them down into their simplest form, namely the 4 chord structure. My guess is, they didn't use country music because it is recorded in the first place in its simplest form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My guess is they didn't use country music because the whole point of their little (comic) ditty was to illustrate how similar the foundation is of many of pop-music's most popular songs over the last few decades.

    Also, for at least some of the songs in the video, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of "breaking down" going on.

    Finally, I really enjoy the vast majority of the songs they "mock" in this video! Anywho...

    ReplyDelete